Before Intravenous Anesthesia Sedation
Home Instructions Before Oral Surgery
Please follow these instructions to prepare for oral surgery with IV Sedation.
- You may drink water until 4 hours before your scheduled appointment. You must not eat or drink anything else for 8 hours before your appointment.
- You may brush your teeth before surgery, but do not swallow any water.
- No smoking for at least 12 hours before surgery. Ideally, cut down or stop smoking as soon as possible prior to the day of surgery.
- A responsible adult must accompany the patient to the office, remain in the office during the procedure, drive the patient home, and be capable of caring for the patient the remainder of the day.
- The patient should not drive a vehicle or operate any machinery for 24 hours following anesthesia.
- Please wear loose fitting clothing with short sleeves.
- Please do not wear flip flops.
- Contact lenses, oral piercings, and dentures must be removed at the time of surgery.
- Do not wear lipstick, excessive makeup,nail polish, or artificial nails on the day of surgery.
- If you have an illness such as a cold, sore throat, stomach or upset bowels, please notify the office.
- If you take routine oral medications, please check with Dr. McFarlane or Dr. Ridenour prior to your surgical date for instructions. If you use an asthma inhaler or glucose monitor, bring it along to your surgery appointment.
- Prepare ice packs and soft foods for after your surgery.